Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Welcome to the new blog, plus Workplace Stories Vol. 1

Hey kids!

After much deliberation, I have decided to begin my blogging life anew with just ONE blog. This is something of an oddity for me, as I have had three or more blogs at a time for most of my online life. Usually one for the public to read, one with happy life stuff for my friends to read, and one really sad/angry/dark one for my really good friends to read. It was easier to compartmentalize my life, for some reason, and I did well with that for a while.

Now, however, I just don't care. Life is too short to be that complex, and now that I'm not a bitter teenager ashamed of who I am, I feel like it's time for me to simplify.

And I'm going to start by telling a delightful vignette from the workplace, because one must.

I work in retail, and most of what I do is pretty standard: sell clothes, hang clothes, tell people they look pretty in things, and convince them that they need yet another store credit card. Occasionally, though, one is required to clean the bathroom. Not too hard, right? Under normal circumstances, no, but friends... I have seen things.

Things that I cannot unsee.

This last Wednesday, I was working with my manager T. I volunteered to clean the bathroom while she finished the audit, and it started out pretty normally: scrubbed the toilets, cleaned the mirror, etc. I thought I was nearly done, when I noticed a small spot on the door of one of the stalls. Thinking nothing of it, I sprayed it with surface cleaner and wiped it away.

Suddenly, the door was three shades lighter than it had been in that spot. I looked at my paper towel - it was entirely yellow. If one could have seen my face at that moment, it would have looked something like this:


I promptly started spraying the crap out of everything and scrubbing like a madman. T came back to check on me about 15 minutes later.

"It's taking you a long time back here. Is everything okay?"

I looked at her with the expression of a woman who has seen the horrors of war.

"Oh, T, you have NO idea..."

I spent a good 30 minutes extra on the bathroom that day, and I'm still toying with the idea of asking to come in, unpaid, just to sanitize the crap out of that thing again. I have honestly never been more horrified by a place where I take my pants off.

And on that note, I'm out of things to say. Until next time, dearies.

-- Kari

3 comments:

  1. I know why that is!! It's just nicotine!


    the previous assistant manager used to go in there to smoke because she couldn't leave the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so much better than what I thought it was, oh my gosh.

      ... Still gross, though. =P

      Delete
  2. Haha! I love your disturbing first entry. And also that the name of your blog is Mango Pie. That is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete